Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Talking with Duchamp about Kandinski



Terry Kreiter    Sculpture


Talking with Duchamp about Kandinski

Marcel Duchamp   Photo: Kay Bell Reynal   (1952) 


Wassily Kandinsky, c. 1913 or earlier  

Here's how it came about:  In my studio I get surprise visits. This sculpture, "Boris Descending" is about a visit with Duchamp, and involves Kandinski. It's earliest seed was a postcard that my wife Diane sent me, on it was an illustration of a Kandinski print. Years later came the Duchamp visit which unconsciously influenced the composition of my sculpture. I must explain:  These visits are almost real.

Postcard from Diane:  Kandinski


Wax patterns
My idea was to re-create in wax the shapes in the Kandinski print and cast them in bronze without a preconceived plan for the composition, planning to wait until I saw them in bronze before composing the sculpture.

Bride, Marcel Duchamp, 1912 
Above: Bride, 1912
Oil on canvas,  89.5 x 55 cm
Philadelphia Museum of Art
Right after finishing "Boris Descending" I saw it in my studio through a window, and felt the relationship with the Duchamp composition. I didn't plan this sculpture to be an homage, and maybe I'm the only one that sees this relationship.  I'm lucky, Duchamp doesn't always pay visits these days.




Boris Descending



Artist: Terry Kreiter
Title: Boris Descending
Date: 2007
Dim: 12 x 6 x 12 inches
Medium: Cast and fabricated bronze
Supporting material: Drawings in artists sketchbook #21
Provenance: Cast by the artist in the artists studio foundry
Exhibited: Sculpturesite Gallery, San Francisco, CA


No comments:

Post a Comment